KML and Shapefiles are a simple file format that store geographic data. Planning flights with shapefiles gives you the flexibility to pre-plan missions with exact boundaries, even in remote areas.
Where can I get a shapefile?
If you or your client do not have a shapefile readily available, scroll down for instructions to make one using Google Earth and a free online converter.
Simple shapefiles will work best
Some very complicated shapefiles may fail to load. Sub-areas are known to be problematic. If this happens, try making a simpler file. Complex polygon shapefiles are not yet supported. A complex polygon is a polygon with other polygons inside of its boundaries.
1. Go to DroneDeploy App Market
2. Install KML and SHP App
1. Click Plan Flight button on the Dashboard.
File under Import KML or SHP app
3. Select a valid shapefile, zip file containing shapefile or Google Earth KML and click
Shapefile must have .shp extension, and have a projection of WGS84 to work correctly when uploaded to DroneDeploy.
4. Observe that shapefile loaded correctly and continue planning the flight.
5. Save the map using the icon in the lower right.
Shapefiles can be edited in the app after uploading. Some more complicated shapes may fail to edit.